Donors are an integral part of the success of a nonprofit organization. Many nonprofits rely solely on donations from the community to fund the continuation of the organization’s work. Since donors play such an important role in the operation of a nonprofit, it is important for your organization to acknowledge each donation for a number of reasons.
The Importance of Thanking Your Donors
- Return the kindness and show your gratitude
- Provides an increased awareness for your organization
- Developing a personal, lasting relationship will likely lead to continued donations
- Repeat donors are very valuable, and tend to match or exceed their prior donation
- The IRS suggests you provide a written acknowledgement for all donations and requires it for larger donations. See the link below for more information on the IRS requirements.
Make sure your organization is taking the time to thank your donors promptly, no matter how large or small the gifts. Personalized, hand-written thank you notes will go a long way in showing your gratitude and will likely lead to continued donations. There are many other creative ways that you can show appreciation to your donors – create a video, host a donor appreciation event, small gifts, etc. It doesn’t matter how you do it, just say thank you!
For more information regarding the IRS requirements for organizations to provide donors with a written acknowledgement, please click here for our firm’s summary or view IRS Publication 1771.
Please contact Gilliam Bell Moser LLP for more information.
Leave A Comment